Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
“How do I know when it is time to get therapy?”
If you are over 21 and you want to:
- Reduce, manage, or eliminate depression, anxiety, grief, unresolved hurt
- Strengthen or restore your relationship as a couple; improve communication, create a deeper connection, use the love languages, enhance intimacy, trust yourself and each other, learn to treat your partner or spouse as the apple of your eye, break the pattern of conflict and distance.
- Heal relationships with parents, siblings, in-laws, friends, coworkers
- Work through, resolve, forgive and let go of past regrets, estrangements, damage from affairs
- Manage transitions like “empty nest”, career change, adult children who need to move out
- Improve self-care through active intentions, personal manifesto, spiritual practice, mindfulness
- Own and celebrate your place in the LGBT Community
- Grieve and resolve the loss of a beloved family member, horse, or pet
“Do you accept insurance or Medicare or offer a sliding fee scale?”
No. The only insurance I accept is ComPsych EAP. Since I am “out of network”, please check your plan for Out of Network Benefits. I do not offer a sliding scale. Click on the Fees tab for more info.
“What are your areas of expertise?”
I specialize in adults, couples, and online workshops.
“What are the issues or ages that you do not treat?”
There are a few issues that require specialized training, experience, or setting that I cannot offer.
I do not treat:
- Anyone under 21 years old: children or adolescents
- Anyone who is in crisis or at risk for being suicidal, homicidal, or doing any form of self harm.
- Anyone who is actively addicted to substances. Please get clean and sober and be actively involved in a solid recovery plan for at least 90 days before seeking outpatient services with me.
- Anyone seeking help for eating disorders.
- Anyone seeking paperwork. I do not initiate therapy with people whose initial need or sole purpose is to complete paperwork of any kind, including but not limited to state or federal disability, Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), DUI or substance abuse assessments, legal matters, custody disputes, American Disability Act (ADA) service animals, or emotional support animals (ESA).
- Anything related to custody or divorced/former couples having conflicts over children
- Current trauma victims of sexual assault, rape, assault, domestic violence, or other crimes
- Relationship issues related to BDSM
- Relationship issues related to multiple sexual partners, polygamy, polyamory, lifestyle, swinging, open relationships
- Adults questioning or considering gender re-assignment
I do not provide the following services:
- Expert witness
- DUI or substance abuse assessments
- Work release assessments
- Court ordered or mandated counseling or paperwork of any kind such as DUI, anger management, domestic violence, shoplifting, probation, parole, etc.
NOTE: If you are unsure if your issues fit into any of these categories, please call, email, or text me to clarify before you set the appointment.
“Do you offer a free consultation to see if we are a “good fit”?”
No. Our initial session is a thorough conversation that includes a mental health assessment. We will discuss: your current situation; mood and symptoms; and an overview of your history. After this assessment we will decide an initial plan of how to best proceed together. If you feel that the services for what ever reason are not a good fit for you, I can refer you to trusted colleagues.
“Are you licensed?”
Yes. I am a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) and a Licensed Independent Substance Abuse Counselor (LISAC) in good standing with the licensing board. Please make sure your counselor is licensed in good standing. Click here to find out: https://azbbhe.us//
“Is everything I say confidential?”
Yes, to a point. I can only speak to others with your written consent. But if there is clear and imminent danger that you plan to harm yourself or someone else, I have an ethical and legal responsibility to help keep you safe and a duty to warn others you may intend to harm. I guard your privacy if you and your partner or spouse are doing couples therapy with me but I will not keep current harmful secrets from your spouse or partner.
“What is your educational background?”
I have been a mental health clinician since 1978. I have a bachelor’s degree in music therapy, a master’s degree in counseling and a doctoral degree in higher education with a focus on teaching graduate level counseling students. I developed a method for teaching empathy and described this method in my dissertation which was published in a professional counseling journal. I am also a subject matter expert (SME) in counseling skills, empathy, group therapy, and inner self-care. I taught master’s level counseling courses at 3 different universities in the Phoenix area for 18 years.
“What type of therapy do you do?”
I establish and work within a therapeutic relationship (Rogerian) getting to know you and your unique patterns and needs. Therapy with me is not passive, I don’t just listen and nod my head. We decide your direction together which sometimes requires you to be brave and make the difficult changes you desire. At times I use methods such as Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Transactional Analysis, Psychodrama, Gestalt, and other active, experiential methods that involve doing homework or practicing what we discuss. There are no short cuts in good therapy. I do not use any sort of set formula, hypnosis, regression, or EMDR.
“Do you offer Group Therapy?”
Yes, but groups are on hold due to Covid-19.
Please contact me today! Let’s get started!
Phone or Text: 480-980-6308