In April of 2017 I relocated my Carefree private practice office to North Scottsdale. My new suite has a private room for therapy sessions as before, as well as a classroom for workshops. My Tempe practice has not changed. Workshops have begun and there are more in development. Please keep checking the Events Tab for workshops that may be of interest to you or someone you know. Please call me if you have questions.
Dr. Vallery Coats, EdD, MC, LPC, LISAC
- Bachelor of Science in Music Therapy, Illinois State University
- Master of Counseling, University of Phoenix
- Doctor of Education, Argosy University
Licenses and Memberships
- Owner of Advanced Counseling, Licensed Private Practice, Scottsdale Arizona,
- Owner of Advanced Counseling, Licensed Private Practice, Tempe Arizona
- Licensed Professional Counselor, State of Arizona #1538
- Licensed Independent Substance Abuse Counselor, State of Arizona #0916
- Arizona Counselors Association, Professional Member
Private Practice and Teaching
- 2007-Current: Private Practice: Advanced Counseling, PLLC, in Scottsdale and Tempe
- 2009-Current: Southwest College of Naturopathic Medicine, Tempe Arizona. Independent Counselor on contract serving the student body.
- 1994-2012 Adjunct Faculty:
- University of Phoenix, Phoenix, Arizona
- Argosy University, Phoenix, Arizona
- Ottawa University, Phoenix, Arizona
- Southwest College of Naturopathic Medicine, Tempe, Arizona.
- University Courses Taught: Counseling Theory, Group Counseling, Advanced Group Counseling, Professional Counseling Ethics, Applied Counseling Skills I and II, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Substance Abuse, Human Services, Multicultural Diversity, Lifespan Development, Applied Music Therapy, Interviewing Techniques, Practicum Seminar, The Psychology Aspects of Athletic Injury, Ethical Issues on Sport Psychology, Interpersonal Communication, Psychology of Medicine.
Highlights of Publications
- April 2011 Publication: Arizona Counseling Journal: A Rubric for Use in Training and Evaluating Empathy Skills.
Highlights of Presentations and Continuing Education Workshops
- 2007-Current: Various topics: Self-Care for Professionals; Professional Development; Creating Life Balance; Self Re-Parenting; Communication Skills; Southwest School of Naturopathic Medicine, Tempe, Arizona.
- May 2011: Beyond the Bubble Bath: Exquisite Self-Care. CEU Seminar for Arizona State Bar Association’s Lawyer Assistance Program, Phoenix, Arizona.
- April 2011: Exquisite Self-Care for Caregivers. The Greater Phoenix Child Abuse Prevention Council, Phoenix, Arizona.
- August, 2010: The Lost Art of Empathy. Annual Conference for Counselors, Southwestern School for Behavioral Health Studies, Tucson, Arizona.
- May, 2010: Beyond the Bubble Bath: Self-Care for Professionals; Day Retreat for medical students, Cave Creek, Arizona.
- July, 2009: Group Therapy Techniques; Day Retreat, Copper Canyon Academy, Sedona, Arizona.
- October, 2007: 1) Counseling Ethics 2) Diversity in Counseling. The Arizona Counselor’s Association and Argosy University, Phoenix, Arizona.
- June, 2007: Assessing & Building Counselor Competence; Training for Clinical Supervisors. Argosy University, Phoenix, Arizona.
- January, 2007: Revisiting Empathy and Self-Care; Chaplain Retreat, Phoenix, Arizona.
- September, 2006: Getting the Most from Group Therapy; Aspen Group, Sedona, Arizona.
Ethics and Values
I recognize diversity and I support the worth, dignity, potential, and uniqueness of individuals within their historical, cultural, economic, political, religious, and psycho-social contexts. I do not discriminate based on age, culture, disability, ethnicity, race, religion, spirituality, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, partnership or marital status, socioeconomic status, or any basis proscribed by law.
Dr. Vallery Coats, EdD, MC, LPC, LISAC
© Advanced Counseling, PLLC
With offices in Scottsdale and Tempe Arizona
Mailing Address: 8700 E Vista Bonita, Suite 280
Scottsdale , AZ85255
Phone (480) 980-6308
Fax 1(480) 488-1904